Welcome! Cedar Park United is a theologically open and questioning congregation that warmly invites all visitors to join us in faith, family and community. The church community began in 1893 as a summer pastorate under the leadership of Otto Lilly. With the influx of permanent residents into the community, a year-round pastorate was founded in 1899 as the Pointe Claire Presbyterian Mission. An enlarging population by 1922 resulted in the construction of Lilly Memorial Presbyterian Church, and in 1925 Lilly Memorial became part of the United Church of Canada. In order to accommodate the higher number of postwar numbers, the present building was constructed in 1954-1955 and was renamed Cedar Park United Church. The congregation celebrated its centennial in 1999.
As a long established church, Cedar Park draws its members and adherents from a wide area. The congregation has about 220 households under its pastoral care, with membership and adherents at about 375. The average Sunday attendance is approximately 125 or more. There is a Sunday School of about 25 children ages 3 to 12. During the last 73 years, Cedar Park United has had only six ministers, each staying many years.
Copies of Centennial Stories of Cedar Park United Church by Jeannie Walbridge Blevins describing the first 100 years of the congregation are available for $15 from the Church Office (514 695-3337). The first chapter of Second Century Stories of CPUC, telling about the first decade (1999-2009) of the second century, is now available for $5. For a more extensive online history of the church, visit The History of Cedar Park United
Recent history update
In August 2011, we welcomed our new permanent minister, Rev. Elisabeth Jones. She was already a familiar part of our congregation, while she was Director of Studies at the United Theological College in Montreal. We are delighted to have her with us in her new role.
Vital ministries like Healing Pathways, Social Justice, and Christian Education continued, as did the lively Sunday KidZone. In August 2011, annual Vacation Bible camps began for the first time since the 1950s. The popular F4: monthly Friday family, food, film and fun evenings continued to bring together families from both inside and outside our walls.
By early 2012, an audio-visual retractable screen enhanced worship. February 2012 adopted a new CPUC logo and tag lines: feed your spirit ~ fulfill your purpose ~ feel at home; s’épanouir ~ s’engager ~ se sentir accepté.
At the February 2013 Annual Meeting, the Congregational Board’s 5 year plan, our Vision of the Journey Forward, was approved. Lay leadership was increased, and instrumental musical talent was expanded during worship. Work started on a Lights and Loos project: lights replacement in the Fellowship Hall, and walker/wheelchair accessible washrooms in the C. E. building and at the back of the sanctuary. In June 2014, Christie Smith Favit became Family & Youth Ministries Co-ordinator.
In June 2015, we celebrate our 60th anniversary in this building. On the departure of the Smith Favit family, Martha Randy joined the ministry team as Family & Youth Ministries Co-ordinator.
Now in its 116th year, Cedar Park United carries on its vision